Friday, September 12, 2008

brown, brown...

Since starting Kindergarten, Sid's "learned" her colors (she already knew them, but the review is good) and they've started on their letters. I think now they're up to E. My favorite thing about the colors is that her teacher gave them pictures to color that showed a little monster representing the color doing some action that rhymes with the color. (Picture that, if you can.)

Here are some examples:

Red: A fuzzy monster stands next to its smiling head, one hand resting on top of the head. (Macabre, I know. What are they teaching my kid here?!) And the poem:

"Red, Red,
Forgot its head."

Green: A masculine looking fuzzy monster with a crown on its head and ballet slippers on its feet does a ballet move--a pirouette maybe?--in the center of the page. And the poem:

"Green, Green
Is a dancing queen." (I'm not even going to comment on this one!)

Orange: A fuzzy monster eats an orange. And the poem:

"Orange, Orange
Ate an orange."

Brown: (This one is my personal favorite.) A fuzzy monster reaches down to pull up its pants. And the poem:

"Brown, Brown
His pants fell down."

Aren't colors wonderful?

As for the letters, Sid read her first words the other day: sheep, baa, our, and coats (from an animal book). I helped her with the sounds of the letters and then we put them together. She's learning so fast. Pretty soon, she'll be reading heavy stuff, like Nancy Drew or Twilight.

I can't wait...

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Hey!! It is great to reconnect with you guys through blogging. We always ask Britney and Tyler how you guys are doing and it always sounds like things are going well. Your girls are adorable. I can't believe you have three of them! It will be fun to keep in touch.